Saturday, February 5, 2011

Right Place, Right Time

On my other blog, I just posted something that I think was about compassion and guilt and greed. But I'm not sure. I wrote it because I felt inadequately grateful for the good things I have. I do not know to whom I'm supposed to be grateful. It's not as if someone or something "gave" me the good things I have. It's more a matter of being at the right place at the right time, being born to the right parents, having the right color skin, living in a society in which education is (or was) considered a right and an obligation, and making a few good decisions.

Should I be grateful for accidental good fortune? Yes. But to whom? I don't know. I just think I should be glad and appreciative. I think I should be glad and appreciative every moment of every day. I'm not, of course, but I should be. And so should you.

If you're reading this, you have access to the Internet. You can read. You are not scraping by to put food in your mouth (or, if you are, you are approaching it with less passion than is wise...stop now and go search for food). You are DAMN lucky! OK, maybe not lucky. You are coincidentally in the right place at the right time.

No comments: