Monday, April 26, 2010

Food...is my friend

Finally, after resorting to sending a very, very nasty email to a gastroenterologist's office, I have an appointment to see the doctor tomorrow, Tuesday, at 2:00 pm. It's been eight days since my Crohn's disease flared up and eight days since I had a meal...liquid, shakes, and the occasional bowl of mashed potatoes have been my sustenance for this week-plus and I hate it.

My inability to see a doctor is largely my fault. When my previous gastroenterologist decided to give up his practice to teach at UT Southwestern fulltime, I should have immediately found a new doctor. I didn't. I should have found someone who could give me the annual colonoscopy I'm supposed to have been getting. I didn't. I've been putting it off. But now I've finally got an appointment to see someone and I'm sure he'll insist on all the appropriate procedures. And he'll probably put me back on the meds I stopped taking after my doctor moved on...no one to prescribe them for me...which may prevent another recurrence.

I long for a real meal...steak, chicken, squash, peas, beans, tomatoes, cheese...almost anything but shakes and apple juice and popcycles. However, the doc may not permit that until he knows why my gut is in wrenching pain and until he figures out what to do about it. I'm tempted to eat a huge bowl of spaghetti with hot Italian sausage tonight...just so I can have a real meal. Of course that might cause me to explode, which would be an ugly scene that would irritate my wife beyond measure. Where have I heard that before?

2 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Oh, I feel terribly for you, beyond measure. Can't you just put that giant bowl of spaghetti with hot italians in the blender??

Ellie

YourFireAnt said...

Hell! I leave off reading you for one minute and you fall apart. Cripes, babe! I am sorry you're feeling like hell. Good luck with the doc. Keep me posted.

T.