Thursday, November 5, 2009

World Wide Wisdom

There is wisdom tucked into the billions of comments one finds on the Internet; it just takes fortunate circumstance to stumble across it. Take, for example, this sentence that I find very powerful: "I'm not religious in any way, but I think some respect for the singularity of a creature should be paid." The statement was made by a woman in a Facebook post related to her reaction to hearing a hunter say he planned to kill a rare albino pheasant that "everyone at the hunt club is after."

The statement is so gentle, yet so powerful. The respect to which she refers would manifest itself in a very tangible way: not killing a rare, or singular, creature.

I suspect the hunter with the desire to be the one to find and kill the rare bird would find little logic in the woman's statement. But I wish he would.

2 comments:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Wise, indeed. And utterly flexible: one could use that line about many things.

Ellie

bev said...

Over the years, while studying various natural history books, I've come across several photos of hunters with their kills with captions that read: "so-and-so with last bear killed in Austria" or some such thing. One would think this was hardly something to be proud of, but I guess it's just another case of cultural difference.