Saturday, April 18, 2009

Pizza Party + Cohen Apparel

First, here's my Leonard Cohen 2009 world tour t-shirt. Striking, yes?















Friday nights sometimes call for blatant expressions of laziness. So it was last night. My wife and I arrived home from work at a very respectable 5:30 pm. But even though it was an early hour, we were famished. My wife suggested a frozen pizza, to which I readily agreed. As tasty as DiGiorno frozen pizzas are (we always buy the Supreme versions, with sausage and pepperoni, etc.,) they are a far cry from "made from scratch" pizzas, so we doctor them up a bit.

Here are some of last night's "doctoring" ingredients: tomatoes and jalapeños. If it weren't for the fact that we were home, we had no interest in going to the store, and my creativity was on holiday last night, to boot, we might have jazzed up the pizza even more. I would have liked to have added some sliced green and red peppers, some sliced onions, and perhaps some fresh oregano leaves, torn and scattered about the pizza. But, no, the tomatoes and jalapeños were sufficient; if we were going to have a cheap pizza, by God, I wanted it to be cheap and I wanted it not to require effort and travel to the grocery store on my part.















But a cheap, unremarkable pizza deserves some cheap, unremarkable wine, doesn't it? Of course it does! And we just happened to have a nice, cheap bottle of Rex Goliath shiraz on hand. So we added to the festivities by opening it. I've seen Rex Goliath in a few places, but the only place I can dependably remember where I can buy it is World Market. I think it's usually about $7 a bottle. Despite being a touch sweet and overly full of fruity flavors, it's a nice acommpaniment to a cheap pizza.














So there you have it: we combined frozen pizza, tomatoes, jalapeños, and a bottle of cheap wine to make a nice Friday evening meal. And where, you wonder, are the photos of the pizza? I didn't take any. You wanted me to take pictures of a frozen pizza after it was cooked? Look at the box, next time you're in a store! But as compensation for the lack of pizza photos, which I know you wanted to see, here are some grapefruit and a poor little clementine almost hidden by it big brothers.

1 comment:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Yum. We usually jazz up a frozen pizza with mushrooms, sauteed in olive oil, garlic and rosemary. Love the tomato and jalapeno route, though. When tomatoes become edible around here.....

Ellie