Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Persepolis: I Approve

Tonight, my wife and I finally watched Persepolis, a video from Netflix that we've had around the house for weeks, if not months. Here's how IMDB describes the film:
In 1970s Iran, Marjane 'Marji' Statrapi watches events through her young eyes and her idealistic family of a long dream being fulfilled of the hated Shah's defeat in the Iranian Revolution of 1979. However as Marji grows up, she witnesses first hand how the new Iran, now ruled by Islamic fundamentalists, has become a repressive tyranny on its own. With Marji dangerously refusing to remain silent at this injustice, her parents send her abroad to Vienna to study for a better life. However, this change proves an equally difficult trial with the young woman finding herself in a different culture loaded with abrasive characters and profound disappointments that deeply trouble her. Even when she returns home, Marji finds that both she and homeland have changed too much and the young woman and her loving family must decide where she truly belongs.

This animated film was, in my view extraordinary. It's not common for an animated film to cause my eyes to leak; this one did and I cannot tell you how much that pisses me off. Watch this film. You will be glad you did.

2 comments:

isabelita said...

I have the complete Persepolis in its graphic novel form. I recommend it even more than the film version, although that looked pretty good when our son and his girlfriend were watching it.
I wish I'd gone to hear Marjane Satrapi read when she was here.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I've heard great things about it. I may have to suck it up and join Netflix: the public library just doesn't have a great selection of DVDs. But then I'd have to pay. And it's day until 8 p.m. now, and getting later every day.......

Maybe in the fall....

Ellie