Saturday, September 13, 2008

Focus

I awoke this morning just after 2:30 am. I don't know why I woke up then, but I suspect it had something to do with a dream I had. My memory of the dream isn't clear, but it had something to do with mastering a new way of breathing while I sleep, a new way of breathing that makes it easier to noiselessly fill my lungs with air and feel cool and relaxed as I lay in bed. There was more, but I don't recall what.

The moment I looked at the clock, I knew I couldn't go back to sleep right away. Last night's forecasts had predicted that Hurricane Ike would go ashore sometime areound 2:00 am, so I had to get up to watch the news to see what I could learn. I learned only that it had gone ashore near Galveston and that it was, indeed, a powerful storm, though not a category 3 storm. The concerns remained, at 2:30 am, the size of the storm surge. No one could say how bad it had been at 2:30 am because it was dark and the reporters had left the areas that had been subject to mandatory evacuation. I still don't know how bad the storm surge was; I don't know if we'll know for several hours yet.

I washed dishes, putzed around the kitchen, and skipped between television news channels after my original focus on the news. And then I read a few blogs and found that nothing on the internet was of particular interest. I get distracted by the moment and lose interest in everything but the focus on the moment, I suppose.

I went back to bed at 5:30, but didn't sleep much and got up again just after 8:00 am. Coffee and cereal and more television. It's coming up on 10:00 am and television news sees fit to cover high school football news, so I assume the world has not fallen apart on the Gulf Coast. Right, I can always depend on the media to get priorities straight.

I'm hungry. I feel like having a searingly hot, spicy breakfast that will cause my head to sweat and my tongue to cry for mercy.

No comments: