Sunday, March 28, 2010

Choices

I'll spend a "big" wedding anniversary 400 miles from home, wrapped up in a client's annual event. For the client, the event is important; for me, my anniversary is much more so. But I am obliged to be there. I hope I can get my wife to fly in to meet me on our anniversary so I can at least take her to dinner on what will be a celebration of our first 30 years of marriage.

Every passing year, my resentment grows over spending time helping clients celebrate events that are far less meaningful to me than to them, while I sacrifice being able to celebrate things that mean a great deal to me. I almost allowed myself to ask that my sister's memorial service be delayed so I could attend a previous commitment...a client board meeting. Fortunately, I came to my senses and said my client's board meeting didn't merit a second thought. But I keep allowing myself to give priority to business instead of things that really matter.

It's not as straightforward and simple as it sounds. It's easy to say "family always comes first," but when following that principle could lead to the loss of business and, therefore, put the family in financial jeopardy, reality enters the equation.

There's a lot of talk in business circles about how business should always take back seat to important family matters. I think it makes some people feel good to give lip service to the concept. In reality, though, business generally doesn't give a rip about family...not when it comes to the bottom line. People tend to give lip service to family taking precedence only when it's convenient to do so.

OK, I have to look at my skepticism meter and see if I can't make some adjustments...

1 comment:

Me, You, or Ellie said...

Hey, look at the bright side. Every 30 years you and your wife can celebrate with a fancy dinner in a restaurant you've never been before!

Happy Anniversary to both of you.

Ellie