Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Damn

Damn. Just damn. Damn. Damn. Damn. Just damn. I shouldn't complain...considering what most of the people in this world are facing right now. But my selfishness allows me to say, just one more time, damn.

Here's to the people who can't worry about a damn thing because they are starving. My little upsets are meaningless. And so are yours. We're so damn spoiled, and it's time we owned up to it and thought about how we can transer a little of our wealth to people who are clinging to the edge of survival.

It's hard to release my little problems. But "hard" for me is nothing for most people on this planet. They need to know where their next meal is coming from.

2 comments:

bev said...

Yes. Damn. Well, what to do about it? Ideas? For quite awhile now, I've been making a conscious effort to support (very) local economies, hoping that there is a trickle down effect to people in small communities. Why buy from the big chain guys when a local person or shop might be able to sell you a handknit hat, or handmade soap, or honey, or a battery for your car, or whatever. That goes for books and music too. Help a local starving artist or musician by buying their book or CD. It's a way of sharing with others who may be struggling - the individual or the small business owner who is just hanging on by his/her toenails. It's not giving to charity - it's helping to create dignity.

Springer Kneeblood said...

I'm in complete agreement with you, Bev, and I've been doing my own bit (albeit not as aggressively nor as thoroughly as I might) to do the same thing. I do my best not to deal with chains for the very reasons you mention. Frankly, I hadn't thought much about local artists and musicians so much, but now that you mention it...will.