Sunday, January 18, 2009

Please, Let Me Be an Optimist

I don't know about you, but I'm extremely interested in watching the inauguration on television this Tuesday. Here's the schedule...all times are Eastern. My concern is whether the cheesy, antenna-less TV/DVD player in my office can pick up any stations; I've never used it to watch TV, only to view DVDs because it won't pick up any stations. I'm going to buy an antenna this afternoon. If it works, I'll allow staff to ignore work for a few hours to witness history. If it doesn't work, I'll allow staff to leave work for a few hours if they promise they'll go watch the inauguration.


The closer it gets, the more excited I become. I know the world won't change on Tuesday, but I think the axis on which it spins may get adjusted just a touch. If Barack disappoints me, this will have been the last election I've let myself get excited. To use a Bushism: "Fool me once, shame on, uhh....me. Fool me, twice, uhh,... Won't get fooled again."


I want so desperately to be an optimist. I've been a pragmatic pessimist for far too long.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I too am excited, if for nothing more than to have lived and seen the day a black man was finally elected as president. For this alone it will be worth it.

Me, You, or Ellie said...

I'm over the moon with excitement about tomorrow. What an incredible week in this country.

Ellie