Thursday, June 11, 2009

Nature with a Hot Poker

Last night was a weather monster. Winds of 70-80 miles per hour, rains pouring down at the rate of 4 inches per hour, explosive claps of thunder that rolled and rolled and rolled in the sky, lightening strikes like I've never seen. And then this morning I found two enormous limbs that had been ripped from a giant tree in front of my house; they filled one entire side of the front yard.

The storms returned just before daybreak, repeating the ferocity of the night before before we got in the car to go to work. And then the weather became cataclysmic. Shrieking winds blew the rain at a 90 degree angle and hail started pelting the car; the roads were damn near impassable. In fact, I drove through some water that was far too deep to have waded safely; I'm an idiot.

The forecasts for next week: hot, dry, and worsening. Temperatures will climb into the mid to upper 90s. Nighttime lows probably will be so damn warm that we can't sleep without cranking the air down to arctic levels. I love storms, as long as they're not heat storms.

No comments: